Any hospital can say it is a center for cancer. They can NOT just call themselves a Comprehensive Cancer Center. It is a well earned title which is not easily achieved.

Per About.com.... A comprehensive cancer center is an institution that has been designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as a center of excellence for cancer care and research. Institutions have to apply for designation as a comprehensive cancer center and renew their status every three to five years. According to the NCI, there's no difference in the quality of care provided by NCI-designated "cancer centers" versus NCI-designated "comprehensive cancer centers."

The NCI uses the term "comprehensive" to indicate an institution offers state-of-the-art care and services that include a strong research base along with a variety of prevention, care, and educational activities that serve the community. The NCI provides a list of comprehensive cancer centers on its website.

Your facility could be ok, I mean no disrespect to that facility. Of course its completely your choice where you want to get treated. My concern is your history would show that your case could be a complicated one since its been ongoing for so long. Oral cancer can be a fast moving, deadly disease that needs to be taken very seriously. We have lost far too many good people who after it was too late would say "I should have gone to a CCC". The very best thing you can do is make an informed decision. Please dont rule out a second opinion from a CCC like Moffitt.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy