Hi there... I had a very similar surgery to yours except they rebuilt my tongue on the operative side so sensation is minimal there... I have no pain, but on my real tongue, for a while post rads I had two areas that would flare up. On the right side. It was because I have two molars that are a bit inset and they rub up against my already irritated tongue. It's not continual but I find it's linked to foods I eat - anything with a hard texture - crackers, or acidic foods sets it off makes it sensitive and then my teeth make it worse. This isn't all the time. You're sp early out of rads that it will take a while to heal, even a year out - which I will be in two weeks, I have my days when things are better than others.

Keep an eye on it for changes in the area, but it's likely rads fall out. I add more rinses, and switch to bland foods for a few days and it goes away. As for feeling swollen, a neck dissection removes your lymph nodes, these guys carry lymph fluid from your head and neck... Less nodes, less drainage - more swelling - even your tongue. I find when I do my lymphatic massage my tongue thins out and I can feel it drain. Also sleep position makes a difference too. If its rubbing on your left try sleeping on your right or with your head to the right to lessen the contact while you're sleeping. - it might help. Hugs and good luck with your appointment. I'm actually waiting to see my SO now, for my checkup! Take care.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan