It does sound fairly normal since the surgery was extensive. However a few red flags are up here. Is he at a CCC? An experienced surgeon one who is good, and has performed similar surgeries - if you are at a CCC it's likely he/she would have performed a similar operaton at least once - would have known what to expect - re the skin, the leg etc.. (I didn't have the mandible/ gum reconstruction - but I did have the rest - and i came out of the OR with two drains in place. The multiple trips to the OR is a bit concerning... Infection is something that happens - and is pretty much uncontrollable (though sterility and care does have some play in it) - his immune system is likely compromised leaving him more open to infection, but having to go back in - repair - gums, and chin skin - well that sounds to me like they didn't anticipate these problems before hand... Something an experienced surgeon would - not to say that the surgeon - I'm assuming he's an ENT (surgical oncologist) isn't experienced but I meant experienced with this type of invasive cancer ) I'm surprised the peg wasn't fitted from the outset as its a simple procedure and very short, and falling against his leg well I imagine it was an accident but still - that probably made matters worse... Particularly if it's the leg the bone for his mandible was harvested from - As for the special care facility - did they say how long and why? If he's moving around and able to get nutrition via the peg it doesn't make sense...

Another question - when they're planning to start rads? They might want to send him to a special care facility during rads as he is a very heavy patient - he has to heal and pain management will be an issue during radiation considering all that has been done to him.

I know it's frustrating particularly if you're unsure of what's normal - and everyone recovers at his or her own rate... But do educate yourself, and ask questions - some drs. tend to run roughshod over patients and their families because the patient and support people seem complacent to accept whatever the dr. Says. If you are more vocal, and ask for a full explanation - it makes them realize that you're not just a number but someone they are accountable to. So ask them - state your concerns- and make sure you get a complete picture of what and or why... smile

Hugs - good luck and take care.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan