Hi, Pat,

My husband also had a mandibulectomy and his procedure happened well after the initial cancer surgery. He has had numerous surgeries for infection control, and exterior flap replacements and most were done by the Plastic Surgeon. He comes home with one or two drains each time. It sounds like you are in a very good place to me (Duke). Everything you have said sounds "normal", although your husband seems to be getting everything at once. That must be so hard for you. Keep asking questions and voice your concerns to his team. You have every right to know what, why and when. Not knowing is the worst place to be. And scariest. Arm yourself with knowledge.

The leg pain lasts a long time, and so does the jaw discomfort. This is a process that will take months, maybe years, to get through. My husband is having his 11th surgery in 2 weeks for recurring infection related to radiation. As hard as all this is, you get to a point where you go along and do what needs to be done. Pain control is super important. No one should be a hero by not getting relief. While lots of things have changed for us, he is golfing and enjoying life. You guys will get there, too.

So, hang in there, keep posting here and know that you are not alone.

My best to you and your husband-
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections