Dawn, when someone undergoes radiation for the head and neck areas it will greatly impact their swallowing capabilities. This happens to every single one of us, even the ones who seem to sail right thru it easily. As a former patient, I can tell you that several times I choked while attempting to eat and it really scared me to keep trying. A few times were pretty bad!

Nutrition and hydration play a huge role in how good your husband will feel during his treatments. I know you cant force him to eat or drink but if he does not take in enough he will end up being hospitalized. Every single day he must take in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water, more is even better. If he isnt getting this amount in then he will not feel very good and it can cause dehydration and malnutrition.

He should try sipping water and he should be doing this every single day. Believe it or not, a patient can lose their ability to swallow and their muscles 'forget'. Have him keep sipping water all day to keep his swallowing muscles working. Here is a list of easy to eat foods which should be helpful.

Easy to East Foods

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy