Hi and welcome:
I can remember how hard it was to swallow anything of substance at first but was forced to swallow by mouth in order to retain my swallowing ability. At the 1 1/2 week timeframe like your husband, I swallowed mostly liquid supplements, one in particular is (still do it now if I have trouble swallowing some days), Nestle VHC (Very High Calorie) Carnation Instant Breakfast. One small can has 560 calories. It only comes in vanilla, but doesn't taste too bad, but I chug-a-lug it down with a straw, but it still counts as swallowing by mouth wink. I order mine from CVS Drug Store by the case and they usually get it by the next day. Everyone is different it seems with their swallowing capability, and even though it's been 4 years for me, like I said, I have trouble now and then swallowing and when I find things I can swallow, stick to them. Good luck and keep in touch. Others will respond as soon as they see your post. This is a wonderful Forum.
Julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile