Welcome to OCF! Now that you have found this site, you are no longer alone! You are now among others who understand what you are going thru and will help with advice or just to lean a shoulder to cry on. Dont worry, we will be here for you! Its kinda like our own little private club that nobody else quite gets except other patients and caregivers. Oral cancer is so much harder than other ones because it affects such basic functions like eating, talking, kissing, drinking, etc.

About your mouth sores. Unfortunately radiation continues working even after you finish the treatments. How many tx do you have? Try rinsing your mouth with 16 oz warm water, 2 tsp baking soda and 2 tsp salt. Do this at least 4 times per day. Swish for up to 30 seconds and spit it out. If the salt burns your mouth, cut it down to 1 tsp or omit it completely. Salt helps to heal so its preferable to have in in the mix.

Now is NOT the time for weight loss. Most doctors recommend to not lose any weight at all even if someone is overweight when starting out. It means your body is fighting and burning up way too many calories. This will quickly weaken you and if you dont get enough nutrition and hydration it can lead to major problems. The end result being hospitalized. Push yourself to get a minimum of 2500 calories per day and 48 oz of water, do this EVERY single day. Dont think that its ok to make it up the next one, that will lead to a cycle of playing catch up and will be detrimental. Even more calories up to 3500 is ok! Adding some high protein powder will help speed your healing capabilities.

I know its a long road. Hang in there, Im with you every step smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy