Hi there it sounds like your dr is being proactive which in my eyes is a very good thing... For me I'm not into wait a few months and see - because if it is a recurrence a few months is a very long time. That only gives the tumor time to take hold, grow and spread. I would not have a major surgery based on an unknown but a round of chemo might be something I would do. In my own opinion though unpleasant and not something we willingly commit ourselves to, has benefits that outweigh the cons, and most importanly have very few long term , or permanent effects. Good lck - hopefully the lump is just a lump.

****ADMIN UPDATE**** It is NOT standard procedure to give even just one dose of chemo until testing is concluded to determine exactly what the diagnosis is. One dose of chemo can cause the same side effects as the full course. Permanent and enduring side effects include hair loss, neutropenia, kidney failure, cardiac arrest, mucositis, peripheral neuropathy, hearing loss, cognitive dysfunction - depending on the type of chemo used. Whilst hearing loss may not be so bad with one dose of cisplatin a few of the other side effects can happen immediately and can also be fatal.
****DISCLAIMER****Remember that advice given by someone other than your own doctor should never take precedent over the recommendations of your own care givers, and that the opinions expressed here are those of the individuals posting them, and do not necessarily reflect the ideas of the Oral Cancer Foundation.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan