You shouldn't admire me. I didn't do anything but tolerate what the doctors did to me each time. I had little part in my survival of any of this.

I had non Hodgkin's lymphoma, tonsillar oral squamous cell carcinoma, and an esophageal adenocarcinoma. There is one more waiting in the wings, for a nice round four when it is all said and done. But any of this is just the luck of the draw, having good access to healthcare, doctors that knew what they were doing, others that caught things early, and so many other variables. Those are the things that kept me alive. In all this - and to oh so great a degree - I have been little more than than froth on the wake of life. (That probably won't translate well�) There wan't anything that I personally did that made me a survivor. And I don't ponder the whys of it all. That is a waste of time. I didn't engage in any risk factors that I knew of at the time such as tobacco use, or other excesses, except perhaps in my own view of my importance. (While an undesirable and unattractive quality I eventually corrected, not one that will give you cancer)

So you eventually come to terms with waves that come and go, and you just ride them out the best you can. The only constant in life is that there is no constant. Health and well being are like that.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.