Tyson, welcome to OCF. Glad you have found this forum to help you with your concerns. Hope your biopsy turns out to be nothing serious. If it would be then you have found a great resource for help.

A biopsy can be done 4 ways. First a fine needle biopsy is the easiest one but it isnt as black and white as a regular biopsy. A needle takes a tiny sample of your cells. Then you can have some cells scraped or cut to be sent to the lab. You can be put to sleep for the biopsy or have it done with a local numbing shot. The final way is to just have the doc take a couple teeny tiny snips while you are awake. Ive had biopsies done asleep, with a local and awake with nothing. I prefer to just get it over with by letting the doc just do it and be on my way.

Depending on how much tissue and the location will determine how sore yo will be. It could be 2 to 4 days til you feel better. Its really not that bad. Results generally take about a week to come back. Try to stay busy so you will be focusing on other things and not worry so much. If it turns out to be cancer then it will be treated and you can move on with your life.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy