Runner Mom,

You couldn't describe me any better at the beginning except I'm a male and a biker. Your Primary may well be either your tonsil on the side of the infected node or your Base of Tongue (BOT). They may not even find it. Unfortunately you have to calm down (easier said than done) and wait for the diagnosis system to play out and then let's see what treatment they recommend. You probably stand a 70% chance of being HPV+ and I assume they are testing your node cells for that. Assuming a lot here but I would think they will recommend no surgery; 35 rad sessions with concurrent chemo, most likely Cisplatin either weekly or 3 larger doses. It's doable without the PEG but like me you have no weight to spare so falling behind in the weight category for you is more critical than many to undergo this Tx.

Let's hope for the best and keep us posted because without more info we really can't speculate any further.

I would encourage you to forget healthy and concentrate on fattening up ANY way you can. Go for all your favorite naughty foods and I would reduce your exercise routine because you can't afford to use up those calories.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.