Welcome Wendy!

I'm very glad you've found OCF, the best place for information and support for H&N Cancer, sorry you had to though frown

What you'll find here are people that have traveled a road similar to the one you've found yourself on and can not only relate to what you're feeling but the obstacles you may face as well. You are in good hands...in more ways then you may realize.

Your "team" at Mass Gen is a FANTASTIC choice, already an NCI designated CCC, they are ranked 2nd only to John Hopkins in Ear Nose and Throat and 7th overall in Cancer care as ranked by US News and World Report. Where they are ranked a few spots lower then the Mayo in Cancer, they are actually ranked higher in Ear Nose and Throat specialties. Where the rankings are subjective to be sure (to a point) they are one of the elite treatment programs for our brand of cancer and that should make you feel good about who's running your care.

Now on many levels I relate to you, I was "younger" when diagnosed, an athlete, businessman (came up as a corporate salesman) and lead a very healthy lifestyle before being diagnosed with cancer after a dental appointment. I too put off getting large lumps on my neck checked out due to my busy schedule and belief that it was nothing more then an infection and due to that had a very poor outlook when finally diagnosed. I also put my care into the hands of a top rated program (U of WA medical center) and I'm here to talk about it almost four years later.

It's important that you take one step at a time and remember to breath...don't let this overwhelm you. It's best (and hardest) to wait until your team has had an opportunity to analyze your scans and put together a plan before deciding anything. The only thing you can control after you've chosen your medical team and course of treatment is your attitude and your nutrition, the rest you have to take as it comes. The good thing is knowledge is power and you've got one of the top medical teams in the country on your case, and the OCF forums in your corner and that should make you feel better if anything can.

Use these boards as much as you need, we are here for you my new friend. Keep breathing and taking it one step at a time.

Keep your chin up

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.