Your mouth rinse with the salt, baking soda and warm water is correct. It should have the salt in it. If it burns, then decrease the salt. If necessary, completely omit the salt. Salt water works best for healing so try to keep the salt in it.

The 2x cisplatin means the person got 2 doses. Many people who were scheduled for 3 large doses only ended up getting 2, myself included. i was too sick for the 3rd round of chemo.

Pay very close attention to the hydration. If he vomits then those fluids need to go back in. Dehydration can sneak up on you so quickly. When someone gets dehydrated, they feel terrible! I felt so bad that I really thought I was dying. The patient must get a minimum of 48oz liquids daily. Push for even more, the better the nutrition and hydration, the better the patient will feel. Dont let him go short one day and think he will make it up the next. It doesnt work that way, every single day a minimum of 48 oz must go in. Sorry if I am going on and on about this. Ive been in this situation and its horrible! Dont get behind on the nausea meds or that will be next to impossible to control, making the hydration situation even more difficult.

Sorry but I do not know about the other anxiety causing issue. Its not legal where I live. There are a few on here who are experienced with it and can help you with that.

Please keep asking questions as they arise. We will help you thru this!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma