Hi Cate,

Unless you are HPV active, I don't think you are contagious. A positive HPV screening means that you have contracted the virus in the past...not that you have an active case of it at the time of the test. It's like when a person doesn't know what their immunity status is as it pertains to vaccinations. A titer can be done to determine if someone has antibodies to specific diseases which would determine what vaccinations are required. For example, if you had either the vaccination for measles or the actual illness, it would show up in the titer results.

Someone can have a long relationship full of various bodily interactions and not contract HPV from their partner. Many of us here have been in long, monogamous relationships and one partner is positive but the other is negative. Please do not feel bad. No one is usually able to pinpoint from whom they got it, it is a prevalent virus, and judgements shouldn't be rendered because someone was lucky enough to avoid it or unlucky to get it. Abstinence is great, but, it isn't always what happens in real life.

Since you tested positive, please be vigilant and go to your yearly check-ups. Paps show abnormal cell growth but the HPV screening is a good compliment to it and will keep your doctor on his/her toes. Early detection is critical and cervical cancer is highly treatable when caught early. Also, when caught early, infertility is less likely to be a problem.

Until you have your appointment, try to settle your mind and distract yourself. I'm like you, I'd look for whatever I could get my hands on regarding this stuff. But, at some point, I realized I was staying up late reading the same thing over and over again. That's when I figured it was becoming obsessive and unhealthy. I tried to focus on something else I was interested in researching and lose myself on the computer doing that. You could also try limiting the amount of time you will devote to thinking/worrying about it--say...15 minutes a day. When time's up, force yourself to think about something else.

Many times we worry for nothing. And, since worrying is a major contributor to illness and premature aging, you don't want to have a self-fulfilling prophecy here. In addition...you don't want all that stress ending up on your face permanently and showing up in pictures on your wedding day!

Do all you can to set your mind at ease. And then, if there isn't anything wrong...rejoice! And, live! Life's too short to spend feeling like something is wrong or worrying about it.

Hugs,

Sandy

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.