And of course in someone's ultimate wisdom, brain cancer is not a head and neck cancer..... It's in a category of its own. As to BOT, well, we could be the oral and oropharyngeal cancer foundation.

I wanted to deal with what composed the vast majority of ALL head and neck cancers. 85% of all head and neck cancers are directly in the oral cavity or in an area that you can see from the oral cavity the oropharynx. I wanted to represent something that after going through treatment I found no voice for. There was a laryngeal cancer society/foundation and one for thyroid, the other two significant but still small % head and neck cancers. So I just tried to fill a vacuum.

And before this goes off into the cancers are defined by the organ or cell type they involve which is almost universally true, the oropharynx is not a "thing" but a "place/space" defined by other structures or things that surround it.

Also please note that the NCI and other NIH entities all maintain portions of their web sites that are devoted to the information for "public consumption." In that light, in those areas they speak in verbiage and a "voice" calculated to be understood by the lowest common denominator.

They should realize that those of us that have deadly diseases desire not pablum and simplifications, but hard science stated in a clear manner that we can make informed decisions from.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.