MD has, according to media reports I read, a recent tobacco history so it's possible that the cause is a combination of the virus and tobacco. Remember the "HPV study" that we all refer to concluded that if you present yourself with a distinct profile (white male, primary in the BOT or tonsils, mets to a node, college educated, etc) then you have a 70.3% chance that you will test positive for HPV. So that also means that if you present yourself that way you also have a 30% chance that the virus is not involved. Even if the cancer cells test positive for HPV some cancer experts decrease survival chances when tobacco use is also in their history. Whether MD's cancer is HPV related or not is easy to test and I'm sure that has been done but obviously they feel they do not want to share those results.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.