There is another alternative that is too often overlooked and that is a nasal tube which serves the same purpose but the inserting procedure can be done in a chair in a few minutes and without any meds. You do have to get x rayed to make sure it is placed correctly and then the thin metal rod is pulled out of the tube and that's it. I was one that refused to get a PEG (how dare they suggest a feeding tube, that's for really sick people I told myself) but I did end up agreeing to the nasal tube my first week post Tx (only after I was close to death from dehydration) and I admit it really made a huge difference but I only had to keep in for 2 weeks and I pulled it out myself.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.