Posted By: Michelle Ann Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-18-2011 07:13 PM
I am scheduled to have a G-Tube put in on Friday. I have heard people talking about a PEG on this site. Are they the same? What's the difference? I was supposed to have a special appointment with the surgeon three days prior to getting the G-Tube, but he canceled. His nurse said the doctor will talk to me before the surgery. I am afraid of not getting enough information and then being sent home on a Friday afternoon. My partner is great about stuff like this and I know she will be helpful, but we aren't nurses and have to be told how it all works. The following week we are meeting with a nurse to be shown how to use and clean it, but between Friday and that appointment? I really don't want this G-Tube. Really don't. Are there people who went through 7 weeks of radiation without it? Do I have a choice in the matter? -Michelle
Posted By: EllEll Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-18-2011 08:14 PM
I went through 6 weeks of radiation and once a week chemo without a feeding tube. I don't know the difference between a G tube and a PEG. Where I was treated they only put in a feeding tube after you lost a certain percentage of weight. It was not automatic that you would get a feeding tube before radiation treatment was started. They waited to see how you would do and if you were able to keep your weight up. I lost about 10 pounds.
Posted By: Nate82 Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-18-2011 08:37 PM
I declined the PEG tube at first and even the doctors were confident I may make it through without one. Low and behold around week 4 of treatment I could not swallow my pills anymore or water for that mattter and it was thanksgiving week. I was in bad shape when I showed up to the doctor that monday and they immediately scheduled me for a PEG. It sucked because for one I was so tired and weak, it took them 2 times to get it in. I honestly wish I would have already had it in, because it was a nightmare while going through treatment. I have a PEG tube checkup tomorrow to make sure it has not dislodged, will see what they say. I have had mine about 2 months now.

Your Friend,
Nathan
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-18-2011 09:51 PM
Well my ol' man didn't have one AND he lost tons of weight and they NEVER put one in him. That I never did understand unless he refused one when he went to the docs during treatments which I did not go with him to. That may be it. I never thought about that till right now! duh! I'm gonna ask him now that I thought of it. He is a stubborn man so that's probably what happened. I also really don't know the dif of PEG versus G even though I'm sure I have read it on here somewhere. Ron did have in a feeding tube thru his nose twice, that he pulled out himself both times cuz he said it irritated his throat. He was still able to drink fluids some not what I wished he would have been drinking(beer) but he kept up swallowing thru all 30 of his treatments. Good luck in what you do get and hell I'm no nurse either but we got thru it! any questions call your dr that's what i did and glad you have your partner to help you thru this it's gonna be hard on her but you all will get thru it!
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-18-2011 09:52 PM
ps hey nate! lol see ya duckin in here for a bit! lol
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-18-2011 10:47 PM
A PEG (percutaneous endoscopic gastronomy )is just a G tube that is put in with an endoscope. If you can't put the endoscope down the throat, then they use a fluoroscope and just put the G tube right into your stomach (like mine). The G tube itself is exactly the same no matter which way the doctors put it in but without the endoscope , there's no E and it's technically surgery if you use the flourscope and "operate" so no P (percutaneous). That's the difference between a PEG and a G tube.
At most places, you do indeed have a choice as to whether or not to get a feeding tube. I have heard of some doctors who insist on their patients getting a tube whether they want or need one, but I went to a CCC where the patient's decisions were honored. I was a stubborn old man who was determined to keep eating and drinking on my own. I ended up on a complete liquid diet halfway thru (Ensure Plus)but never needed a PEG and never got dehydrated or any complications.
Yes, several of us went through both radiation (8 weeks) and chemo without ever getting a PEG. We lost a lot of weight.
We used to have "PEG wars" here whenever this question arose, since feelings ran high on this particular decision. (I plead guilty since I over reacted when posters say a PEG is necessary as though many of us had not done fine without one) Many patients needed a PEG and are very glad they got one. I wasn't one of them. Since I now have a G tube for life (nothing to do with my decision not to have one the first time, but a result of the cancer coming back and surgery and even more radiation over the "maximum"); I'm doubly glad I went without it the first time.
On a practical note, if you can still eat, just don't use the PEG until you meet the nurse if you are worried about that.
You will get lots and lots of opinions here, but remember it is indeed your decision. As Nate pointed out, you can always get a PEG later on, but it harder on you then since you already feel so bad. My post is just my opinion also.

Best wishes
Charm
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-19-2011 12:25 AM
Charm explained the G-tube is the same as a PEG tube. Yes, there were many battles about to get or not to get the dreaded tube. Not one person who got one ever wanted to have it and need to use it. Ive used a feeding tube twice for a total of 3 years. Most larger hospitals have visiting nurses that you can ask for. They will come out and help you with the tube and make sure you are doing alright with it. Its so much better to have a feeding tube and not need it than to need it and have to wait to get one. Always better to be prepared.

If you need help, I have all kinds of tricks for the peg tube. You can use the search function to look up info as this topic has been discussed many times.
Posted By: BrandyK Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-19-2011 02:50 AM
Getting a tube in is a tough one. I fought it all the way. I wanted to go as long as I could without it. Now I am little... In both the height and weight categories so I didn't have to lose much before I needed it in. I made it halfway through treatment which I don't think was too bad. Like everyone said you can get it put in but don't have to use it. That way if you keep eating my mouth you can get it out later when treatment is done and you are recovered more. And eat as many calories as you can now. That way you can loose some during treatment.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 01-19-2011 01:15 PM
There is another alternative that is too often overlooked and that is a nasal tube which serves the same purpose but the inserting procedure can be done in a chair in a few minutes and without any meds. You do have to get x rayed to make sure it is placed correctly and then the thin metal rod is pulled out of the tube and that's it. I was one that refused to get a PEG (how dare they suggest a feeding tube, that's for really sick people I told myself) but I did end up agreeing to the nasal tube my first week post Tx (only after I was close to death from dehydration) and I admit it really made a huge difference but I only had to keep in for 2 weeks and I pulled it out myself.
Posted By: joann2351 Re: Basic Question from a Newbie - 02-10-2011 03:23 AM
My husband went through 39 radiation treatments for stage 4 tongue cancer. From the onset of the cancer through treatment, which was almost a year, he lost 80 pounds. He was over weight prior to the cancer and was quite thin by the end of treatment but he was not weak and never had a feeding tube. He drank shakes blended with bananas, ensure, and ice cream, as many as he could in a day. I also juiced for him every morning, a variety of fruits and vegetables which he feels helped limit the mouth sores. He only had a temporary feeding tube in his nose for 2 weeks after surgery.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum