This disease is very unforgiving of poor treatment choices and delay. I think that everyone's concerns so far are built around the idea that you need to make good informed choices now, choose the best treatment team and facility possible (hopefully one not dictated by geography), and that as individuals who have seen the plus and minuses of this one time opportunity to get it right - assist you in that process. I know that you are already moving forward somewhere, and I would be interested to know who is offering you their opinions on your menu of options.

I will toss my hat into the ring as someone who is very connected in this realm and can make introductions, can be available to you by phone or email, behave as a sounding board to the questions and options that you are going to wish to sort through, and where qualified, help as needed. Tuesday through Thursday next week, I am only available by cell phone as I am traveling to a cancer conference and lecturing, but the staff at OCF will provide you with a cell number to reach me at.

If this is an anterior of the mouth lateral tongue lesion, it is unlikely an HPV16 etiology, and I would expect that a proper PCR test of the biopsy sample will bear that out. But there are no absolutes in cancers as you are likely aware. While things are rapidly changing, the treatment protocols for HPV+ and negative oral cancers are still the same, though they are distinctly different diseases and respond differently to the current NCCN guidelines for treatment. This will all likely change soon.

I think that everyone here will push you towards a multidisciplinary treatment modality right from the start, and a treatment decision process using a differential discussed by a proper tumor board of doctors from different disciplines. Monotherapies in OC are only appropriate in the very earliest carcinoma in situ's, and even then, not always the best choice.

Obviously we all wish her the best in this process, and a rapid return to a cancer free state and normal life.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.