Radiation is good in making sure it's gone for longer, or never comes back. It helps to eliminate microscopic cancer cells. I had it after surgery, even though I didn't really want it, and went through hell when i had it, but now i am glad i did.

I would suggest you use whatever pain meds you can get, but use them as prescribed, and don't go off of them altogether, you have to be weened off so you don't go through withdrawal stuff.

Also, if it's just that you don't like taking pills, the fentanyl patch is a great alternative, and took a lot of pain away when i was in radiation that the pills just couldn't touch!!

If you have any questions about radiation, let me know! It's not the same for everyone. Some skate through with little to no problems, and others like me just go through hell and get every symptom and side effect on the list, even the ones they say you won't get, lol.

I will be thinking of you and hoping that this all goes smoothly!!
I do have to say, i am a bit jealous that so soon after surgery you are able to eat and swallow again, very lucky laugh.

If you are having radiation for sure, eat as much as you can now and keep doing it till you can't. Radiation almost always makes it pretty much impossible or at the least very difficult to eat and get nourishment. I lost 45 lbs from radiation alone and 25 from surgery, and it wasn't good weight loss, all muscle! So exercise to keep up muscle function and eat as much as possible, laugh

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010