Hi Everyone. Its so nice to have found this place. I just came home from mouth and throat surgery yesterday.Its still really hard to talk and swallow but Ill get there. My cancer got diagnosed about a month ago. It started out with a sore on my gum and a sore on my cheek. My dentist said it looked suspicious so I had a biopsy done and it was positive. A couple of weeks later my throat started hurting so they checked that out and yes again more cancer on 2 lymph nodes.
I had my surgery done at UNC Chapel Hill here in NC and while it was not a pleasant experience it was the best hospital experience Ive ever had as far as care.
Its now day 7 post surgery and Im finally able to swallow a bit of soup and Im trying to stay hydrated. They tell me I wont need any reconstructive surgery or speech therapy (although right now I sound as though I have a mouth full of socks!)
I am doing so much reading on my down time and I really want to improve my lifestyle. I did quit smoking about a year ago (30 year addiction) so thats one hurdle I wont have to worry about.
Well...just wanted to introduce myself! Thanks for having me!

4 cancerous tumors stage4 Surgery 10/26/2010 Radiation 2x a day for 4 weeks (started Dec 13th 2010)
Reccurance discovered Nov 2011. Tumor behind left jaw. Erbitux, Taxol and Paraplatin for 6 wk. Surgery scheduled for Feb
50 year old woman smoked for 30 years quit 3 years ago light drinker HPV +16