Suzy

I also had a neck dissection plus radiation afterwards and my skin afterwards was just like petrified wood. Very hard and rigid and I could not turn my neck much at all.
My doctor sent me to a physical therapist who told me about "scar massage". Basically it was a gentle rubbing application of moisturizing cream (although he used a honey balm mixture)along the scar. The theory was that the rubbing/massage would break up the skin adhesions underneath the scar. The massage also helped a lot with the swelling and fluid retention Now this is not a heavy duty "Rolfing" type massage, just gentle pressure.
I still use a moisturising cream on the scars and when I don't they do tighten up and hurt.
It took me about four months for my scars to quit hurting all the time.
Unfortunately, I don't know a real cure for the hard skin itself as 18 months later my throat is still rock hard but the contracture pain and tightness are gone. I did ask for and get pain pills to help me deal with the massages and I recommend them.
Another helpfulthing is heat and moisture. I joined a gym with a steam room and sauna and did neck twist and stretching inside them. My therapist said that a nice hot moist towel (not too hot, don't burn yourself) placed on the neck was equally effective.
Hope this helps. I'll double check my wife's notes to see if I can add anything. Blame it on chemo brain or just wanting this all to be in the past, but I don't remember all the details.
charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 11-18-2010 01:48 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13