I have a query and not sure where to post it. I was treated for tonsil cancer, had chemo-radiation � 6 weeks radical radiation, and then afterwards, I had a neck dissection at the start of October to remove lymph nodes on right hand side. I finished RT the last day of August, and I seemed to be recovering from the radiation effects pretty quickly and by start of October was able to eat a good range of foods. I stopped oral intake of food for only 2-3 weeks but maintained ability to take fluids, especially water.
After the neck dissection everything went wrong. I have more difficulty now with swallowing fluids, although moist foods are fine. The space in the back of my throat appears to be reduced, as if the back of my tongue is so close to the back wall of the throat that it is touching some of the time: horrible sensation as if i have something stuck there, and worsens the dry mouth/throat problems. The second problem is that the a lot of very hard scar tissue has formed on my neck, especially along the scar line, above it and below my chin, centre neck over area where adams apple is. I think the healing process has become extreme in my case, possibly due to the fact that I have had SLE )connective tissue disorder) since 1996. I am interested to know, how long I am likely to have to endure this dreadful discomfort (it feels like I am being strangled all the time, it tugs when I am eating and I look as if I have a double chin when in reality I am very slim). There is some lymph collecting which causes the double chin, but the real issue here is the very hard scar tissue which is hell to live with.

I notice the photos of Brian Hill, founder member, and the post operative swelling he experienced, but not sure for how long that continued. Would like to know more, both from the other members or indeed anyone who can help.
Thanks
SuzyS

Stage IV tonsil cancer T3N2bM0. diagnosed in April 2010, had tonsillectomy and some of soft palate removed May. June introductory chemo (Cisplatin/5FU) followed by 6 weeks RT with 4 cycles Cisplatin from mid July to end August. early October modified radical neck dissection RHS.