Thanks for the scopolamine tip. This is an anticholinergic so it is of interest that it is being used for its side effect (dry mouth). I am also embarrassed to say that my own company produces 90% of the world's duboisia plant which is where scopolamine comes from and I never even thought of it. If scopolamine works, there are lots of other anticholinergics out there that will do the same thing.

Rossnz might be interested to know that there are a couple of antihistamines available over the counter in Australia and New Zealand that are a lot cheaper than $18 a pop. If I give you the names, will you promise to talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist first? Ok. Phenergan and Polaramine are both old style antihistamines (drugs for hay fever - sorry can't remember the chemical names - too long ago) but were also used for travel sickness. My mother gave Phenergan to us kids, making good use of the other side effect - it put us to sleep for the entire car trip. And that of course, is the down side.

Maybe Susan can enlighten us, did scopolamine make your sister drowsy? I realise this is likely a dumb question given the chemo, radiation, lack of nutrition and being really sick probably wiped her out but thought I would ask anyway.

I am still exploring the thinning of the mucous idea rather than drying it out, but my guinea pig although committed, remains forgetful. I don't think he has had enough therapeutic doses yet, and he needs to compare how he feels across a number of days at different times.

I am going home to Mother tomorrow for the first time in 6 months (she lives 100 miles away so popping in for coffee is not really an option) and leaving my Alex to his own devices for the weekend. Hopefully, he will remember our experiment and will have lots of comments upon my return.

Thanks everyone, this has got me all fired up and for the first time in a while I feel like I can contribute

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight