Hello Karen:
It's been almost 3 years since my treatments (chemo and radiation) and I have been fighting this CONSTANT phlegm (mucus) crap and have been told it is from the radiation, but have read chemo does it too. During and right after my treatments this crap wasn't as bad as it is now, so I wonder. After I get up in the a.m., what starts with me now is a constant foamy white gunk coming up into my mouth. Mine has the most putrid sweet taste that it makes me sick to my stomach. This type started about 6 months or so ago, and I started investigating other reasons for it. I go to an ENT and have sinus scans; 24-hr. monitoring acid tests which I wore tubes in my nose for 24 hours; endoscopies that did show acid reflux, but I take two Nexium/day so the gastro dr. attributes the gunk to radiation. I've been to Mayo in Jacksonville,FL, to no avail. Does Alex have the sticky mucus stuff in his mouth too? That's another thing - food sticks to my teeth, jaws, and gums. Heck, it's a never ending battle. Others on this forum get over the phlegm/mucus several months after treatment, but still have the constant dry mouth. I guess time will tell as to what Alex will have to deal with. My chemo dr. said it was the radiation, and my radiation dr.said it was both, so no answer. If all of this info serves any purpose, it'll be to let Alex know he's not alone.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile