Hello, Gabe. I'm back on this site after some laptop issues. I'm sorry to hear that you have been upset about your check ups and that you needed to take action and go private. It sounds as if you did the right thing.

With my cancer history plus a lifelong migraine and insomnia problem, I've tried just about every pain reliever and anti-depressant going. I have had Amitriptyline. It helped me sleep and had - for me - no side effects. (It is also meant to be a migraine preventer.)

When I had a melt-down last year (before my oral cancer recurrance) I changed to an SSRI - more effective against depression but not good for insomnia, I find.

I hope your new plan of action makes you feel a lot better. (What you say about the burning mouth is very interesting too.)

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.