Hello everyone wanted to update you on my Dad. I just returned from my second extended stay and am regrouping with my nuclear family now. Gearing up for the next trip up there in a week. Okay here we go- Happy to report the pallative radiation is working. His pain now is mostly at 1-3 but can go close to zero with the meds. He is doing his second round of Cisplatin this week and rad everyday. In regards to the swallow test his epiglottis not functioning properly and down to 1 vocal cord. About a third his intake going to trachea but he has had therapy to help. Up to this week been okay but now his mouth is full of blisters from the rx so don't now how we gonna deal with all the lidocaine and making sure he gets nutrition. He is such a fighter told the rx therapist to fry him on the table. He said I am a tough SOB. God love him. Christine about the PEG , he really never wanted it to begin with until they warned us of aspiration pneumonia then he was on board. But the Med staff doesn't feel he needs it because he is doing okay job w/ nutrition and doing the coughing to get the stuff out of trachea. I think it may also be an ethical question? My sister and I and my aunt are just spending all our time trying to get quality time with him. I have to say just seeing him not in that debilitating pain is a relief but scared at what is around the corner. Just taking things day by dad being thankful and prayerful.

Caregiver to Dad. 8/09 Stg 3 SCC of buccal mucosa.
T2N1M0 extracap spread
Surgery/RX complete 12/09
Reoccurrence 4/10 Stage 4 Mets to bilateral nodes & base of skull
40 rx & 2 rounds cisplatin
Hospice 7/29/10 .....died holding my hand 8/4/10
No smoke/No smokeless tobacco