Charm, I have the Mic-Key button in 20Fr, but the problem is that while the tube is big, the fittings on both ends, esp the disconnect fitting, are much smaller. It is a constant battle with my crushed meds and the small orifices that block even with powder. After a while, the anti-backflow valve stops working, so you have to put your finger over the hole and put the plug in to keep it from leaking.

My Mic-Key has to be replaced every three months, because of expected balloon failure, but the replacement is easily done in Doc's office. Worse, the dang fitting tubes for it quickly get work-hardened and are hard to block with the clamp. Replacement tubes are expensive, apparently not covered by Medicare and no better (The makers recommend weekly replacement -- Not for me at $15-30 per tube!). I am making do instead with some Y-fittings on the tube from the standard kind of PEG, which the nurses keep replacements in the office. The only big advantage with the Mic-Key is that there is less movement of the tube at the stoma, so less granulation occurs that needs to be debrided (Cauterized with silver nitrate sticks).

At some point, I expect to go back to a regular PEG, installed with an endoscope, but I will modify it to have a right-angle fitting very near the stoma. One of the Mic-Key tubes has that and it is much less disturbing to the stoma even if I keep it on for days.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.