My PEG was installed in Oct08. I have been using it since the begining of Nov. My GP tell me the life expectancy is about 6-9 months. He is not a surgent and his only dealing with them, other than check to make sure my is OK is from his time in working at a hospital.
I only meet with the surgeon twice that installed it and he gave me the impression that I wouln't need a new one. But that was months ago.
I resently failed a modified swallowing study and expect to be using the PEG for sometime to come. (next time I will study harder) Do any of you have any idea how long one of this things are good for? What's the standard? I have had no problem with infection. I'm told that the silicon deteriorates after so long in the stomack acids.
Oh and one more thing. If they were to change it out. They wouldn't do that will I was awake would they?
Amy

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009