I have been to see 3 different reconstructive/cosmetic plastic surgeons recently. Since having my jaw bone removed and reconstructed there is no shape in my chin and I have lost some length in my face. I was wanting to get a chin implant/enhancement.

The answer was a definite NO from all 3 surgeons.

In my situation, it would not be possible because there is not enough skin around that area due to the damage from two neck dissections and radiotherapy, the skin has already been pulled and stretched to the max, not to mention all of the metal plates screwed in around the new jaw bone and the flap I have. That could also cause serious problems.

Because my chin no longer protrudes or has the same shape that it did, the areas below the sides of my mouth down to my jaw line (jowls) were all shrivelled up and wrinkled so I got some Juvederm injectable gel fillers, which I am very happy with. It has put some shape back into the lower part of my face and I will be getting some more into my chin area, which will help improve the shape a little.

I certainly understand that I will never have the same shaped face again, but this has helped.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery