I was wondering if any woman who has had a neck dissection and/or radiation to her neck has had any plastic surgery to her face or has been advised about whether to do so or not by her doctor. I was thinking I might want to get a mini lift and called my surgeon. His nurse spoke with him and said that he thought it would be a bad idea, specifically because of the radiation, that it would be actually "hazardous." So I was curious if anyone had this experience or advice.
I don't think so...I had "scar revision surgery" to get rid of the trach scar and even up my neck which was a modified face lift. They evened up my neck which was very distored after neck full glossectomy dissection and radiation. My Dr. was a professor at UCSF who did everything (facelifts nosejobs etc) but specialized in helping cancer patients. Like people who have lost a lip part of thier face etc to cancer. There are plastic surgeon who have experience working with head and neck cancer patients. I had radiaiton from the top of my ears all the way down to my clavical. I think you
i think you just need to find someone who has experience working w cancer patients
My RO told me that if I planned to have some work done to my neck to get rid of my remaining turkey chin that I need to get someone who is very familiar with radiation damaged skin, otherwise leave it alone. Even with an experienced doc as I mentioned above he's still not keen on it. Radiation damages (weakens) the blood vessels and it makes healing more difficult.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Facelift after neck dissection & radiation? - 12-19-2009 11:19 PM
I'm also contemplating seeing about a minor face lift. The surgeon who did my total laryngectomy and second neck dissection on my radiated skin has given me a name of another plastic surgeon in the HUP system that has experience doing surgery on people who have had radiation. If I ever get around to making the appointment, I'll let you know what he says. I'm curious as to what you find out.

Take care,
Eileen
Eileen,

Who is the Plastic Surgeon at HUP?

Anita
Posted By: Eileen Re: Facelift after neck dissection & radiation? - 12-21-2009 06:38 PM
Anita,
It is Steve Goldstein at Pennsylvania Hospital at 8th and Spruce. I've not been to see him. Why do you ask?

Take care,
Eileen
If anyone gets more info on this topic, please share with the group. I'm also very interested in getting rid of my turkey neck.
Sandy
Posted By: DonB Re: Facelift after neck dissection & radiation? - 12-22-2009 01:15 AM
The topic of a face/neck lift came up at our last OC support group meeting. Dr Kevin Brummund a dedicated H&N Oncology Surgeon (and Professor) from the (NIH designated) UCSD Cancer Center was doing a Q&A with the support group.

Dr. Brummund said he didn't recommend any plastic surgery that wasn't absolutely necessary due to healing issues with radiated tissue.

The issue of Dry Mouth also came up and Dr. Brummund said they now recommend acupuncture for acute Dry Mounth and have acupuncturist on staff.

Eileen,

Just like to know who is at the top in their field in our area for this sort of thing.

Anita
A friend of my wife is a respected Plastic Surgeon and she has been after him to "do me" for over a year. He told me about a month ago that he was just starting to do a new laser procedure that he thinks will be minimally invasive and may just be the best procedure for my radiated neck BUT he wanted to get more experience with it before he would make up his mind. Actually I will see him this pm at a party so I will ask him for an update if my brain will remember.
It's called laser tight. Check out www.lasertight.com . I am by no way recommending this but as I said before a well respected local PS has said this MIGHT be suitable for me but he wants to get more experience with it before he will endorse it for me.
Who is your doctor at UCSF? I go up there frequently.
Posted By: Malka Re: Facelift after neck dissection & radiation? - 12-31-2009 02:22 AM
I have discussed a face lift with the plastic surgeon who did my free flap reconstruction. He said that to even out my neck he could do it. I don't think I will "do it." It is not covered by medical insurance, I am 66 and it would have to be be redone in about 15 years, I am tired of surgeries and doctor appointments and would rather not spend the $3500 or so on my face. Besides, I feel that I have put my family through enough already. The almost 6 year old grandson told his mother that he is afraid that my head will fall off where I had my surgery. He should know that just dealing with grown-up life is enough to make you feel like your head is flying off!
I have been to see 3 different reconstructive/cosmetic plastic surgeons recently. Since having my jaw bone removed and reconstructed there is no shape in my chin and I have lost some length in my face. I was wanting to get a chin implant/enhancement.

The answer was a definite NO from all 3 surgeons.

In my situation, it would not be possible because there is not enough skin around that area due to the damage from two neck dissections and radiotherapy, the skin has already been pulled and stretched to the max, not to mention all of the metal plates screwed in around the new jaw bone and the flap I have. That could also cause serious problems.

Because my chin no longer protrudes or has the same shape that it did, the areas below the sides of my mouth down to my jaw line (jowls) were all shrivelled up and wrinkled so I got some Juvederm injectable gel fillers, which I am very happy with. It has put some shape back into the lower part of my face and I will be getting some more into my chin area, which will help improve the shape a little.

I certainly understand that I will never have the same shaped face again, but this has helped.

Karen

Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Facelift after neck dissection & radiation? - 01-31-2010 02:44 AM
When I lost a ton of weight and dropped down to about 165 pounds I was horrified about my face at the age of 37 years old. I went from looking like I was 28 to 45 really quick, maybe older. After gaining about 20 pounds it gave me back years and I feel better. Having some healing issues after radiation I am not sure if I would take the risk of PS. We're all different but it has to be risky even being performed by the best hands in the business.
Karen,

Clark received a similar opinion on filling in a large depression on his face just above his new jaw. The PS stated that radiation damage was too extensive, and the skin too tight. Injecting fat into his face was not a good idea either as it would probably break down into an oily mess and find its way out through a new fistula. Yikes!

I am happy that you are getting good results with the Juvederm.

Anita
Posted By: Patcey1 Re: Facelift after neck dissection & radiation? - 01-31-2010 06:13 PM
This is all quite scary! I just had my first consultation with the PS and it never occurred to me to ask about my chin; I just assumed that this is what they do.
I'm sorry. Can you give me the name of that UCSF plastic surgeon again? I cannot find your reply in these posts. And my email program does not save emails from six months ago.

Thanks so much.
Please tell me the name of that Dr. at UCSF again, I can't find your private reply anymore.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum