My name is Linda and I'm a cancer survivor but not head & neck. I'm here because I've been working with patients going through oral & Head & neck cancers for the last 15+ years.Have been focusing on the dry mouth/xerostomia problem so often seen in survivors.The article on "Wonders of saliva" by Rosie Mestel in the website needs updating. Dr.Bruce Baum (mentioned in the article)is currently using Aquaporin gene therapy to create saliva in people with radiation-induced xerostomia. Currently, results are temporary but favorable without side effects. The current study is a Phase 1 trial at NIH to prove safety and best dose level.The goal is to use gene therapy to create saliva on a long-lasting basis. Anyone interested in more information ? www.drymouthstudy.com .
Hx of stage IV non-oral cancer tx with radiation, chemo & surgery in 2005. Currently a research nurse with National Institutes of Health working on a clinical trial using gene therapy for radiation-induced xerostomia. [email protected]

Hx of stage IV non-oral cancer tx with radiation, chemo & surgery in 2005. Currently a research nurse with National Institutes of Health working on a clinical trial using gene therapy for radiation-induced xerostomia. [email protected]