Vanessa - I do not know about the pros & cons of 5FU after rad. My husband received it in an induction dose with Cisplatin & Taxotere, followed by 2 concurrent doses of Cisplatin during rad therapy. The induction chemo causes horrible side effects and therefore delays recovery. His tumor was borderline for recommending induction (low mass primary but with one large cervical node), according to consult at Dana Faber & local MO. He decided to do most aggressive tx.

I am writing to say that those side effects did eventually resolve but it took much longer than many on this forum report. Actually Sophie H. wrote to me one year ago, when I was fearful that things would never improve, reminding me that with induction you can't compare the rate of recovery to other patients. She was a life saver because at the time I was so anxious that I forgot to take that into consideration. I couldn't understand how others were improving and my strong husband was stalled in his recovery.

My other point is that you never know when you might be sending someone a life line on this forum. Thank you all. I hope this gives you some encouragment.
One year post- tx with two clear PET scans!

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016