Hi everyone,

I just needed to vent because I'm sitting at home with my husband upstairs. His last chemo ( this is the round after 33 radiations and 3 chemos concurrent) which was three different drugs, 5fu/docetaxil and cisplatin all together didn't go well at all. He came out of radiation with good results. Not too bad mouth sores and was able to gain 10 lbs the month after treatment and eat some foods and then they decided to do 3 more rounds. He has every side effect possible from the 5fu and can't swallow a pill or water. He has red spots covering his body and basically other side effects. He is now 2 weeks post chem TREATMENT and he isn't getting better. He does have the PEG, thank god!Even though he lost 4 lbs in two days. I'm just having a hard time watching him go down hill when we got through the radiation and chemo. Of course they won't be giving him the 5fu ( the culprit) and we have asked for a second opinion re further treatment. His PET scan is Oct 28th. to see if the scan is clear. He still has small nodes so he might also get surgery. I'm just having a hard time dealing with the round the clock care and the morphine and the drips and trying to get him bathed.I kept it together the first round but I feel so bad for him.His mouth sores are not healing at all. We have to decide whether to continue chem treatments( I would feel awful if the cancer reoccurs and we didn't do everything) How much suffering is he suppose to go through? We don't know yet if the pet scan is clear. I see a lot of people on the forum who didn't get these extra rounds of chemo ( mind you, the research says that these three drugs are the most effective together in treating this cancer mostly as induction chemo.) Any body out there have a bad experience with 5FU?

Vanessa

Jeff age 49 DX 5/8/09 Tonsil cancer T2N2BMO. Tonsillectomy 5/14/09. TX: Cisplatin 3x's every 21 days w/ 33 Rad concurrent. 2-3 nodes on right neck affected. PEG 7/10/09. Chemo/rad start 6/12/9, TX finished 7/28/09. Extended TX
3 more chemo/Cisplatin/5FU/Docetaxil start 9/11, Clean PET 10/29/09.