Ok a little help with info here....

I thought the free flap was the piece of skin used to piece together the missing section of someone's tongue. Is that what its called or is the free flap the piece of skin they take from your wrist, thigh or another place?

My new cheek will be made of part of my wrist. The plastic surgeon told me its about 2" that he needs to cover but will take a bigger section than that.

I dont know why I always thoguht the free flap was the tongue. Maybe my silliness at ... yap yap yap and that rhymes with flap. LOL

The doc said he would try to only take a piece from my wrist and if that needs to be redone then it comes from my thigh.

Oh boy, bedpans are right up there with PEG tubes. HATE THEM!!!! So how in the world do you wash your hair? Wouldnt the whole cheek and of course trach need to be covered?

Suzanne, I would love to have company. My surgery is on Monday the 24th. I probably will not be in any type of shape to even know if anyone is there for the first couple days after surgery. Im hoping by Thursday or Friday I will be thinking clearly enough able to at least communicate even if writing. I will be in Lehigh Valley Hospital Center on Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown. I will count on Charm for his letter writing talents smile

Ok to all those who have gone thru similar procedures, please help me with some info. I already know the everybody's different speech, just looking for some general timeline to go by.

How long til you could talk?
How long til you ate food?
When you left the hospital did you still have the trach?
How long for the trach?
Did you need speech therapy?
How long were you in the hospital?

As always THANK YOU!!!!!!! Every single member who has posted a response or private message to me is unaware of how much they are helping me. Every good wish, every prayer helps me understand that I am not alone and OCF is what is going to get me thrus third round.

Suemarie helped me with my dogs. Donna (Pandora) sent me a beautiful card. Margaret is coming from Wisconsin to visit. Susan2992 is coming to visit me tomorrow. Ray said if Im up to it he will come see me in the hospital. Suzanne is coming to the hospital. All these gestures of caring and kindness make going thru this so much easier for me. I cant say thank you enough!!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma