Posted By: ElCee Wristbands - 04-13-2010 09:21 PM
I may be missing the boat but what is the official oral cancer awareness wristband on this site or any other site? I have seen colors from yellow, to blue to....what is (or are) the colors for OC (burgundy/ivory)? And are there other choices besides the silicone wristbands? (i.e. leather material).
Posted By: lorileona Re: Wristbands - 04-14-2010 12:55 AM
That's an excellent question that I don't have the answer to either. On one site the bracelet is red, on another site the bracelet is a teal blue. The ribbon that I have seen the most often is a red and white stripe. Confusing, much?? I have seen beaded versions of bracelets/necklaces, but I have not seen leather. Most "awareness" sites don't even have a category for Head and Neck Cancer or Oral Cancer. My husband wore a Livestrong bracelet from the day of his first surgery until the day he died.
Lori
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Wristbands - 04-14-2010 02:21 AM
This question has been asked here many times before, and for years we have stayed away from doing anything like this. There are over 7,500 registered trademarked colors on ribbons etc. for causes that most of us never have heard of. At the end of the day we have in the past stayed away from this because other than pink, breast cancer, red AIDS, Yellow Lance Armstrong's foundation - no one really knows what the hell you are wearing and unless they ask you about it they will never know.

Another H&N organization put up on their own, without checking with anyone else in the arena, a burgundy creme burgundy striped ribbon to wear. You don't see them very much, and again, no one outside of a very small group of people even know what they stand for. Another H&N organization has a purple ribbon. Bottom line no one knows. As to the teal one.... from a blog site that has been around less than a year, that was probably picked because it matches their web site, since no one in the 13 years I have been involved in this has ever seen it. Some people just want to be putting out their own "brand" and are not really team players with others in the arena.

As to the material, silicone rubber is used, and not leather because it is indestructible in water or wherever. My prototype 11 year old one has been beat to death, and like a Timex it takes a licking and still delivers it message while looking brand new today, and it's never been off my wrist.

We picked burgundy since it was sort of out there already related to head and neck, but no one wants to wear a multicolor band with a suit (I have worn my yellow original prototype LiveStrong bracelet that Lance gave me before they were even sure they were going to do them a decade ago, every day since with suits or shorts.) Would I wear a multicolored gaudy band in every situation I have been in for the last decade working on this disease? No. Simple look, simple statement that has some meaning, not advertising any particular organization works best in my book. When we picked our wording we thought what everyone involved with the cause could get behind. WE ALL WANT TO MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY... SOMETHING IN THE PAST. OR IF YOU ARE A RESEARCHER, SOMETHING THAT IS YOUR GOAL, WITH BREAKTHROUGH KNOWLEDGE OR IDEAS.

We picked a saying that was generic to an idea, not to OCF. That makes them good for many people in the H&N world to use. They were originally designed to be given away in April to donors and at our events, but the demand in the last 2 weeks since we have announced them has been overwhelming. Will we trade mark the color to OCF, or to the disease? Not a chance. At the end of it all, hopefully people will ask you about it when you wear it. And if other organizations want them we will give them to them.

I get asked all the time about my buttons that I wear on my jackets that say, Have you had one?, Dental exams save lives, Is a killer hiding right under your nose? None of which say oral cancer, but all of which are designed to make people curious enough to ask me what they mean. Then watch out, they are definitely aware of oral cancer when I am done explaining it to them.

We are already considering ordering a second batch of these given the initial response. I hope that at least with those of us in the community they catch on. We need people to talk about this disease. We need to raise awareness of it and the risk factors. We need to remember the toll it takes. We need people to have discussions with of us that know how horrible this disease is. It isn't a fashion statement, it is a tool.

Make oral cancer history. That's our saying on these, and I hope I live to see it be a reality. Since this is oral cancer awareness month, any donation to OCF gets you a wristband in return plus your tax credit for your donation from uncle Sam. After April they will be for sale in the web store on the main site. Cheap, the idea is to get the message out there.

So for those of you that are ready to be the pointy end of the spear in changing all this, please jump into the discussion and use our bands or buttons to get the dialog started, YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH WHAT SEEMS LIKE A SIMPLE ACT, AND A BIT OF KNOWLEDGE PASSED ON TO OTHERS.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wristbands - 05-25-2010 06:01 PM
The wristbands are now available for purchase in the OCF webstore- the official Oral Cancer Awareness wristbands! With the embossed message- "MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY". Help the OCF spread awareness of oral cancer by proudly wearing your wristband.

http://www.ocfstore.org/wristbands_p/ocf_wristband.htm
[img]http://www.ocfstore.org/v/vspfiles/photos/OCF_wristband-2T.jpg[/img]
Posted By: MikeC Re: Wristbands - 05-25-2010 09:40 PM
I just ordered a 10 pack. I'll take them to the next SPOHNC meeting, along with the OCF literature I am expecting any day now.

I wear a LiveStrong bracelet and a SPOHNC bracelet - the maroon stripe is wearing off of the beige SPOHNC one.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Wristbands - 05-25-2010 10:47 PM
THanks MIke!!!
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Wristbands - 05-26-2010 01:18 AM
Please take a minute to re-read my post about these bands. I re-wrote part of it since someone asked about the color and the whys of it all.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Wristbands - 05-26-2010 10:52 AM
I just ordered some bracelets. Cant wait to get them.

There are many other nice items for sale too. I picked up some notecards and a tshirt also.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Wristbands - 05-26-2010 11:35 PM
Order leaving CA today. Thank you for your support. This little stuff pays the bills. It all counts, and we are very appreciative of the support.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Wristbands - 05-27-2010 03:38 PM
As soon AS I GET FINISHED WITH THE SALE OF MY HOUSE AND THE PURCHASE OF a new home, I will be placing an order for my family which should be a few of them plus I have to order new shirts too. Have a great warm day all.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Wristbands - 05-27-2010 07:24 PM
Thanks Jim!!! Youre the best, good luck with everything!!

Susan
Posted By: walknlite Re: Wristbands - 05-29-2010 12:57 AM
I will be placing an order when I get paid next month. smile
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Wristbands - 05-29-2010 09:16 PM
We got ours in the mail today - can't wait to wear them. smile
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Wristbands - 05-31-2010 03:30 PM
Brian and Megan.... Thanks for my order. I got it on Friday after placing my order on Wed. Very, very fast!!! I will wear my wristband with pride, Thanks smile
Posted By: ESikon Re: Wristbands - 05-31-2010 10:21 PM
I'm off to order mine!
Posted By: ElCee Re: Wristbands - 06-10-2010 07:35 PM
Just received the wristbands and t-shirt. Carol's not much with wearing jewelery...but will wear this wristband and she likes the t-shirt. Thanks to all!

Linda
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum