Posted By: MrsGrant Post Surgery Pain - 09-11-2009 11:54 PM
I had surgery Aug 5th to remove perotid gland and some lymph nodes from the opposite side of neck. I have mentioned severl time to my doctors about pain in my shoulders. I am not sure if it is just because I am compensating for the lack of motion in my neck. Not sure. But especially when I sit up from laying down it feels as if someone had been sitting atop my shoulders and it feels almost like a pinching for a few minutes. When this happens I can barely extend my arm. The pain never really goes away..just uncomfortable feeling really. Has anyone else had anything like this?
Posted By: EzJim Re: Post Surgery Pain - 09-12-2009 01:19 AM
Is it possible that you might have arthritis in you neck and shoulders? leaning on them would only cause more pain when you sat up. It happens to me but I do have that greek fellow in my shoulders from surgerys and over work.
Posted By: MrsGrant Re: Post Surgery Pain - 09-12-2009 01:48 AM
This was never a problem until after this surgery...not sure about arthritis.
Posted By: Cookey Re: Post Surgery Pain - 09-12-2009 01:54 AM
Post operaive shoulder pain is quite common and is caused by removal and damage to muscles and nerves during neck dissection.I think if you use the OCF search engine and type in neck/shoulder pain you will find quite a few posts about this problem.
Posted By: MrsGrant Re: Post Surgery Pain - 09-12-2009 04:58 PM
Thanks! I will do that!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum