Posted By: Jingle Bell Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-10-2011 12:52 AM
Sorry it's been a while since I've been here. Hope you all are doing well. We have been busy with complications from surgery (fistula that lead to going back on a feeding tube for 2 weeks). Last week my husband finished his first course of chemo and this week marked his second week of radiation treatments. He is beginning to complain about food tasting just awful to him. I would greatly appreciate it if you all could tell me what helped you through this time. Food choices, recipes, anything you found helpful to keep your nutrition intake and weight up or any other information and or ideas that kept you going.
Thanks in advance and many happy thoughts to you all.
Jingle Bell
Posted By: Eshwar N Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-10-2011 01:58 AM
Hi Jingle Bell, good to see you back. Everyone undergoing radiotherapy will have aversion to food at some point of time because of loss of taste buds, saliva and other oral changes.

Try moist and soft food as long as he can eat however boost his calorie intake by giving him drinks like Ensure, Prosure etc. You'll see more suggestions for others in the forum shortly.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-10-2011 04:26 AM
Hi there unfortunately the taste thing is common... Try vegetable opus and blend them - no spices really except maybe salt and bouillon - I usually make a fresh veg soup, toss it into a blender and then slurp it! Yes for the ensures etc, egg isn't too bad if it's soft with cheese - Mac and cheese fresh - no craft dinner) they ar bland easier on the mouth, puddings, too it ,ay not help with the taste but if its bland it won be too shocking! To his mouth. No pop ( that's gross) I still cant drink pop! I found natural food tasted the most normal. - they still do. good luck! It may get harder but it will improve!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-10-2011 05:06 AM
Here is a list of easy to eat foods. His sense of taste will slowly decrease as time goes by. Its only an unpleasant temporary problem. Ive noticed that texture plays a huge role in what a patient can eat.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94621#Post94621
Posted By: Maria Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-12-2011 12:27 AM
Hi, Jinglebell,
want works seems to vary by the individual. My husband could not tolerate anything bitter when the rads ramped up. Greens peppers were a particular annoyance. He could eat cooked carrots, canned green peas, and macaroni and cheese pretty late into the treatment. Since his taste may vary day by day, do not take if personally if your carefully crafted meals include the occaisional catestrophic failure. Good luck to you both!
Posted By: patrick2128 Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-12-2011 01:50 PM
I am 5 weeks out and all I eat are two eggs a day I have a peg tube for feedings at night. I have no appetite and no desire to eat. My doctor says that eating right now should be looked at as a therapy to exercise my mouth and tongue. I do eat canned beans with lots of butter. I'm going to try canned mushrooms again with lots of butter. Ive lost 50 lbs through this. Lots of luck Pat
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-12-2011 02:59 PM
If nothing else try to drink your meals if you can it helps with the swallowing reflex. So if you have ensure try half a bottle see how that goes - or make your own protein shake! smile
Posted By: Jingle Bell Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-17-2011 04:40 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions! I am happy to report that with all your advice, hubby has gained a pound! The chemo and radiation folks are thrilled. Mashed potatoes, mashed veggies, grits, scrambled eggs, and Ensure have been our saving grace. He still can't taste much and what he does eat tastes awful but at least he has found some things he can tolerate. Thank you all again, and keep the advice coming!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-17-2011 06:02 PM
smile awesome!!! smile glad he's doing better - tell him to think about it like he's on xfactor- he may have to eat a lot of stuff that tastes like crap ( no offense to the cook) but there's a payoff at the end!! wink
Posted By: Brendan Hanavan Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-18-2011 05:44 AM
I'm halfway through 6 weeks of radio/chemo and food and drink to me tastes absolutely terrible.The metallic taste is overwhelming.I've fortunatley had a PEG fitted and am now completely reliant on this as all food makes me wretch.I still drink water to keep my swallowing in shape and have found that it's easier to take with a little lemon juice in each glass.I've also tried miracle fruit/berry tablets but found these only gave me a fairly temporary taste change.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-18-2011 03:38 PM
Brendan what's in the tablets? You should ask you dr. If it's okay to take them. Also as long as you are still swallowing it's all good. Do your feeds drink your water - once the metallic taste eases up you can move back into eating small amounts.
Posted By: patrick2128 Re: Food tastes awful. Help! - 09-18-2011 03:58 PM
brendan,I've been on a peg since the middle of my rad. i eat regular food once a day starting to taste things but not much. i'm starting my 6th week out of rad treatment. I have been mostly eating eggs, frozen breakfest sausages, canned veggies and just tried homemade mac and cheese with chedder. next thing i'm trying is egg salad because mayo taste regular to me. so good luck and like they say on this site it will get better. thats what we hope and pray for. pat
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum