Posted By: Paan Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-12-2019 11:17 PM
I will have feeding tube put in at time of my surgery ,It would be helpful if you guys share your experience about any issues sleeping with it, thankyou
Posted By: Dizz_zzey Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-13-2019 08:54 AM

You just can't sleep on your stomach. When mine was first fitted I could only sleep on my back as I was a little sore (which was to be expected). Now I can sleep on both sides as well as my back, but not on my my stomach.
Posted By: KristenS Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-13-2019 04:45 PM
Sleep elevated, if you can. It helps a LOT more than you realize. I still sleep elevated, actually, due to some reflux issues. But it really helps with the tube. (Not so great for my back, because I'm a side sleeper, and the two -- angled and side -- just don't agree with each other, but worth it anyway.)
Posted By: Paan Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-13-2019 06:41 PM
Thankyou dizz and kristen,I will work on elevating my bed before surgery
Posted By: Murphy Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-19-2019 03:06 PM
I have had a G-tube for about 6 weeks now, this is the second time for me. sleeping on my sides is not a problem (I can't sleep on my back). I do have a reflux problem but take pantaprazole for it and it does not bother me most of the time, I have found out that 3 8OZ cartons of feeding tube food is too much at one time though, I will have reflux then! I do not eat or do feeding tube 2 hours pryor to bed time and have not had to raise my bed. My speech therapist did recommend that if I did want raise my bed to put a couple 4 X 4 blocks under the front bed posts. (1) per side.
Posted By: MST Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-24-2019 05:04 PM
I'm into my fourth week with one (nasal) and agree with other posters that elevation is important. I try to get my last feed in at least a couple of hours before I sleep, otherwise the liquid seems to back up on me.

I sleep on my back and both sides, and haven't had any major problems with the tube, although have been awoken on occasion when it inadvertently gets pulled, so securing it is important.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-24-2019 05:19 PM
Paan,

I taped my gastrio feeding tube in a U shape on my stomach when not in use. I have an electric bed on an incline, so that help with fluids not going moving up to cause choking. There is a specific body pillow that is on the market where onle lays on their side with it. I always lay on my side, left, which is supposed to be the best position for various organs. Tru not to lay down an hour after eating.

I hope this helps, and may have mentioned ideas stated.
Posted By: Michael Young Re: Sleeping with feeding tube - 10-28-2019 10:45 AM
I sleep on my sides
The first PEG I had , got a clamp.
But the new ones does not, sometimes, the PEG adapter is easy to pop open, that means it will wet my bed,
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum