Posted By: Judy210 Amifostine question - 04-10-2019 03:43 AM
Can anyone tell me if they received a drug called AMIFOSTINE? Been researching it and it is FDA APPROVED for head and neck cancer tx. Studies have shown very significant reduction in Mucositis if given 30 min before radiation and it protects kidneys if given before chemo. It does not affect the effects of radiation on the tumors. I’m just amazed that I have not seen it mentioned before. Side effects are drop in BP and nausea but effects only last during the 15 min infusion. Anyone else heard or been given this Med?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Amifostine question - 04-10-2019 01:13 PM
Hi Judy!

There are about 3 pages worth of questions and answers in regards to Amifostine dating back a decade or so if you go to the Search feature here at the top of the page. I looked into amifostine, has another name too, about 10 years ago, and deemed for myself it wasn’t for me, as it has many side effects. It’s given intravenously or orally. I forget which was better over the other. My cancer center had did studies with it, but I think it was stopped, before my time.

You can still ask about and research it as the dosage could have changed it.

Good luck
Posted By: Judy210 Re: Amifostine question - 04-12-2019 03:30 AM
After the feedback from doctors and everyone here went back and read those posts and YUCK! And seems no one clearly had any better outcomes than those who don’t get it. Moving on with mouth washes, diligent brushing and biotene.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Amifostine question - 04-12-2019 10:00 AM
Heres some reading about the "new" Biotene we see on todays store shelves. Before you spend money on overpriced mouth rinses, read these posts!!! .......

OCF forum, Biotene Products

OCF forum, Return of Biotene

PS.... These links show what OCF's founder Brian Hill does behind the scenes every single day to helping thousands of OC patients and caregivers.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum