Posted By: Tippie TORS vs just Rads - 05-12-2014 01:40 AM
So very anxious waiting for my TORS surgery. I was told that I could just have radiation but if I do the surgery I may not need as many. Anyone else have a similar situation. How is recovery from TORS? I have a small mass on BOT and 1 node stage 3 SCC.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: TORS vs just Rads - 05-12-2014 11:28 AM
Hi Tippe,

I had TORS to remove my lingual tonsils and take biopsies in an attempt to locate the primary. I had a neck dissection at the same time to remove the tumors from my neck. The logic was the same. If they could get the cancer, I would need less treatment. Maybe just rads and less of them. as it turned out, the tumors were extracapsular so I needed chemo but it was 30 rads and 6 chemos.

Recovery has been difficult but it's doable.

Positive thoughts and prayers
Posted By: Tippie Re: TORS vs just Rads - 05-12-2014 12:17 PM
Thank You for your reply. I am glad to read all your posts and get the real story. Be well..
Posted By: Cheryld Re: TORS vs just Rads - 05-12-2014 01:47 PM
To be honest I wouldn't be worried about lessening radiation. radiation totally sucks - it's not easy - even for the best case scenario with rads it is bad (not gonna lie) however, I'm a do what you can person - I would rather dig in and deal with it all now (hit it with everything you've got right out of the gate) rather than try and take it easy with the treatment and face a potential (highly likely - and possibly fatal) recurrence 1-2 years down the road.
The treatment is scary as crap - but I've seen it happen far too many times that the patient is ambivalent about the full course of treatment - drs. sense this btw - so the drs back off and don't follow through with what they really think should be done, and literally within a year or two they are chasing the cancer again.

To me if a surgery is recommended - that removes what should be the bulk or all of the cancer -it's worth it. That leaves the rads to do its job - as a clean up man. smile the surgery of the two treatments is the most recoverable wink try not to worry. Hugs.
Posted By: Tippie Re: TORS vs just Rads - 05-12-2014 03:41 PM
thank you!
Posted By: ngk Re: TORS vs just Rads - 05-13-2014 05:17 AM
Hi Tippie!
I had TORS last July, definitely not pleasant but was up and about very soon after. Personally I was happy about the idea of cutting the tumor out. I also had radiation...no walk in the park, but I had a much easier time of it than most, and for that I am very thankful. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you might think of.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum