Posted By: sunderwood1111 Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 12:25 AM
Hello all, As of today I am five days post op. I have not had the urge to pass stool in 6 days. But I have no symtoms of constipation, no gas, bloating or full feeling. I think this is due to the fact that I have only had liquids with a egg here and there the past 5 days. I am currently taking a stool softener which was RX along side of my pain meds. should I try something stronger or wait and see.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 12:47 AM
The narcos create the constipation so stool softener should do the trick, at least it worked for me. But I did get stopped up twice but those were one time events. Things worked fine the rest of the time. good luck, don
Posted By: PaulB Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 12:48 AM
Drink water. Do light exercise like walking to get you moving, prune juice, coconut water, aloe vera juice. I was told to take colace, some other otc. Physillium may help, but it absorts many times its amount its weight of water, and can cause dehydration in excess.

Good luck.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 01:56 AM
A teaspoon of mag citrate before bed and if it doesn't resolve in another couple of days get in touch with your doctor. Six days is getting toxic enough, especially with a compromised immune system.

Ed
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 02:00 AM
Pineapple juice helps with constipation.
Posted By: ngk Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 05:04 AM
Yikes, I "waited" and it was not a good outcome, at all. I was all blocked up and bad, and like you, had barely any food in my system. My brother in law is a dr and gave me a couple different methods and it finally resolved itself, after using all of them. But it was really ugly. I'm not much at giving advice on things I have not experienced, but this...I have. I'm thinking a call to the dr would be helpful. Hope this situation quickly resolves for you.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 10:43 AM
6 days is much too long regardless of your food consumption. Beside the softeners, Milk of Magnesia will help as well as all the other suggestions.

"T"
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 12:54 PM
Talk with your doctor. Add fiber to your diet. If you have a peg tube you can put the prune or pineapple juice down your tube, just rinse with water afterwards. Another juice that works for this is apple cider.

Good luck.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 01:09 PM
I couldn't think of the name yesterday, but constipation can cause diverticulitis in the interstines, and by straining, and related infection, bleeding. A friend of mine had it, was hospitalized for a month with IV antibiotic infusions, needed surgery, and a temporary ostomy bag for several months, and then surgery again.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 02:12 PM
Drink a lot of water and try a stool loosener with Glycol 3350 in it. This is one thing that works for me. I was going up to 2 weeks in misery from constipation. It can be bought over the counter or by prescription. The over the counter is exactly like the Presciption and much =cheaper. Constipation not only makes you miserable but causes leg cramps that can be painful 24/7. I use only spring water but have no idea why. I just like it better for everything.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 02:18 PM
I tried a little cider last nite. It is a job without a jawvbone on the bottom to help keep your mouth sealed for juices . You have to get used to having a wet shirt and a stomach that feels like a waterfall but heck who cares. The easiest I tried was strawberry banana nuice and this cider was the one that causes the most pain in the mouth. But hey, pain is a part of our lives.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 02:20 PM
Forgeo the whole name for the glycol---- it is Polyethylene Glycol 3350. Sorry about that.
Posted By: sunderwood1111 Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 03:10 PM
Wow thank you all for your timely advise, But am happy to report I had a poo! lol Yes this morning I woke up with a strong urge to go and was half asleep went to the bath and had a great normal movement. What I think worked is I decided to up my dose of softener to 3 tabs 2 times a day. I don't have to worry about my water intake because I have to use 500 ml just to take my morning meds. and more meds throughout the day. Hey PaulB, I sure am glad that I had a movement before I read your post above, sounds scary. Again thanks guys. Feeling really good this morning, Shawn U.
Posted By: rosymonroe Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-17-2013 03:15 PM
Just chiming in because during treatment I went 2 weeks 2 separate times and it is not something I want to relive. I use OTC Miralax. If I don't go a day two I start adding it to my water everyday until things are back to normal then I may back off for a few days. Luckily, as long as things are not backed up to bad this works for me, I am still on narcs so this is something I still do now.
Posted By: AndrewL Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-18-2013 02:38 AM
I had some significant issues with this and food not digesting quickly and leaving my stomach. Very important to get it resolved as it can combine with feelings of fullness and nausea to make for a inability to eat and significant loss of weight. Its great you are feeling so well. I felt terrible but better to nip it in the bud before it becomes an issue.

From most gentle to most aggressive smile
senna
colase
miralax
magnesium citrate (didn't use, but heard of it)
lactulose (also called generlac) - the heavy guns

Posted By: Uptown Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-18-2013 02:50 AM
I ended up with a small intestine diverticulum. It was horrible but resolved. With radiation to the chest and neck the nerve that controls stomach emptying gets damaged and results in gastroparesis anywhere in the digestive system it often between the stomach and small intestine.
Posted By: David2 Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-18-2013 03:30 PM
Glad you're better. I remember the misery well. Tried everything without much success until my RO's nurse suggested buying some rubber gloves. Not pleasant, but gets the job done in a pinch. So to speak.
Posted By: sunderwood1111 Re: Constipation and opiate pain meds. - 09-28-2013 02:58 PM
the problem has resolved with the help of suppositories and stool softeners keeping it at bay for now. My pain is getting worse so a up in my pain meds has been made. so hears hopeing that I continue to poop daily. thank all of you for the advise.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum