Posted By: jonp You haven't worried until you've had cancer - 11-23-2010 10:20 PM
Hey guys
Hope this finds you well.

I just got back from an appointment with my surgeon. All good thankfully.

I had had a toothache for a couple days, that started to feel like it had spread into my jaw/tongue, then i was convinced my tongue looked weird, and you probably all know the rest.

In the first few months after surgery i got paranoid about every little headache/ulcer etc etc. The last few months i had been good and not worried about anything...(pre-cancer i worried about nothing! so this is all new to me!!!)

Well, a few days into the toothache/jawache i started to worry pretty decently. By sunday night i was a mess. I called my surgeon on monday morning to move my appointment forward (was due for my 1-year anniversary check up next week) and he was able to see me Wednesday. Two days of worry.

I lasted about an hour at work on Monday before i had to go home.

Tuesday morning i went to a GP and got some 'chill-pills' (diazepam sp?). They took the edge off, but i was still hammered from three days of heavy worry.

Anyway, just back from good news with the surgeon. Thorough check up, camera up the nose and all the good stuff....

And in regards to not knowing worry like we know worry - you also havent known relief until you've worried like we've worried. I think i cried for 35 minutes after getting out of the appointment. That's some serious relief.

Peace.
JP

Even though I'm the caregiver I know just what you mean JP. Every time my husband Ron is through with a checkup on his throat, we both still cry with a sense of relief. Happy you got good news!

All the best,

Shelley
JP, you are not alone. I worry everyday, just try to get by, I am constantly feeling my neck and tongue for anything new.
Posted By: Gabe Re: You haven't worried until you've had cancer - 11-24-2010 11:27 PM
Happy to hear it was good news Jon.
The worrying beforehand and the relief after (including the crying) just goes to show you are normal.
Now get back to that stress free life of yours smirk
Gabriele
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum