Posted By: portland72 What does all these results mean - 09-28-2013 06:48 PM
PET SCAN

Images through neck indicate no lymphadenopathy. There is mild asymmetric uptake of right tongue base SUV 4.1. No definite mass lesion is appreciated. The left tongue base has SUV of 3.7. It should be noted that level of uptake in both these regions is within expected levels for reactive process. The asymmetry of the right is minimum and not outside of expected limits. The level of activity is not necessarily indicative of imflammation from biopsy??

No clear evidence of FDG avid malignancy?? What does this mean

Mild uptake in right hilum without evidence of adenopathy, likely due to reactive lymph nodes?

I thought normal Suv was normall below 2. What is FGD? What do you guys think about the report?
Posted By: Shane's Re: What does all these results mean - 09-28-2013 11:21 PM
In short your report says there is nothing there to make one think you have cancer. It sounds like your lingual tonsils are reacting to something on both sides but one more than the other. Fdg-avid means taking up glucose. This is what cancer does in a pet scan. You show no evidence of malignancy taking up glucose. You also show no enlarged lymph nodes. Sounds like your fighting an upper respiratory infection or allergies. Your pet scan San sounds just like my ct scan I had 6 months ago. Minimum asymmetry in the BOT with no mass and no enlarged nodes.

Sounds like you are in the clear, but I'm not a doctor so best to discuss with them.

I will tell you about an article I just read since I am going through the same exact thing as you right now. I read an article about a woman who had a low grade lymphoma in the base if her tongue that had not spread anywhere else and caused no other symptoms than what you and I are experiencing. Mild BOT swelling. Lymphoma of the lingual tonsil is rare but it does happen. Not saying this to scare you or anything, but you could look it up.

I just read another article where they looked at the mean SUV for areas of the head and neck that weren't cancer and the mean for the lingual tonsils, which is the BOT, was 3.11. That was for non-cancer lingual tonsil uptake.
Posted By: portland72 Re: What does all these results mean - 09-29-2013 01:58 AM
What's the difference in FGD uptake and SUV? Is one more significant than the other?
Posted By: tamvonk Re: What does all these results mean - 09-29-2013 07:12 AM
Your PET scan says there is nothing to indicate cancer.
Tammy
Posted By: PaulB Re: What does all these results mean - 09-29-2013 10:11 AM
Good news!
Posted By: JamesD Re: What does all these results mean - 09-29-2013 12:10 PM
Great news
Posted By: Shane's Re: What does all these results mean - 09-29-2013 03:11 PM
Portland, does your problem bother you when laying down the same as when standing? How about when eating? Any nasal or sinus congestion, particularly on the side that your tongue bothers you?
Posted By: portland72 Re: What does all these results mean - 09-29-2013 05:55 PM
Shane,
I never hurt during the night and I hurt constantly during the day. This all started 8 months ago with a sinus infection. After the infection was cleared, I developed severe dry mouth, sore throat theneventually tongue pain and a earache. The tongue pain has been the worst of all. I have trouble swallowing also on the right. I have been tested for everything. Sinus clear, no allergies, no dental problems. I have been to over 25 docs. The sore throat and tongue pain is quite worrisome. I have taken over 6 antibiotics, medrol, nystatin, and nothing has helped. I know everything is clear, but I'm very worried because it's very painful and has been a progressive problem.

I'm suppose to have Tors Tuesday to biopsy lingual tonsils but just wondering if I should with the PET scan report. Everything always shows up worse on the right side. I even have uptake on right hila ? Node.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: What does all these results mean - 09-30-2013 12:08 AM
[quote=portland72]I have been tested for everything. Sinus clear, no allergies, no dental problems. I have been to over 25 docs. I have taken over 6 antibiotics, medrol, nstatin.... I know everything is clear, but I'm very worried....

I'm suppose to have TORS Tuesday to biopsy lingual tonsils but just wondering if I should with the PET scan report. [/quote]

I think you should go through with the biopsy. What's one more procedure in the big picture? Hopefully, it will come back clear as has everything else and it will be the straw that convinces you you're Ok.

Good Luck!

"T"

Posted By: fishmanpa Re: What does all these results mean - 09-30-2013 12:22 AM
Here's how a positive report reads....

FINDINGS:

HEAD & NECK
+++ There are multiple enlarged, intensely FDG avid, nearly contiguous with left level II lymph nodes likely representing malignancy. The largest measures 2.7 x 1.9 cm (TP 194.2). There are at least 3 additional nearly contiguous lymph nodes in this region of similar size for example at TP 184.4, measuring approximately 1.6 x 1.8 cm. Correlation with tissue diagnosis is recommended.

+ There are scattered subcentimeter non-FDG avid contralateral right-sided cervical lymph nodes.

+++ There is no definite evidence of additional lesions which may represent primary site of disease. Tonsils demonstrate moderate to intense FDG uptake right greater than left, however recent pathology report of tonsillar biopsies yielded "no evidence of malignant neoplasm".

- There is no evidence of abnormal focal FDG uptake fusing to the visualized cerebral or cerebellar hemispheres.

- The visualized paranasal sinuses are clear.

- The thyroid gland is grossly unremarkable.

Reads a bit different than yours.

"T"
Posted By: PaulB Re: What does all these results mean - 09-30-2013 01:56 AM
If they scheduled TORS it must be for a reason, and should proceed. A biopsy can identify the histology even in benign tumors, and may scertain what your problem may be.

Good news, so far.
Posted By: portland72 Re: What does all these results mean - 09-30-2013 01:58 PM
"T"
Where was your primary? Also, did you have emergency bleeding from your lingual tonsils or the neck dissection? Was your primary found? Wonder why your report doesn't state the SUV uptake values?
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: What does all these results mean - 09-30-2013 11:30 PM
As it shows in my signature, "Tx" is an unknown primary. The bleeding was from a lingual tonsil bed.

Regardless of SUV values, the PET showed the cancer in my neck. You're so very fortunate that your report showed no sign of malignancy.

"T"
Posted By: portland72 Re: What does all these results mean - 10-01-2013 02:11 AM
I'm very fortunate "T". How severe was your bleeding because that's where I'm having my biopsy. Was it a severe bleed?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum