Posted By: Sue G PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-24-2011 11:31 PM
I've had my PEG for about 16 months now and have no real issues with it, but in the last 24 hours I have started to bleed from the PEG site (not alot but I need to have gauze there so my clothes don't stain) and it is tender and a bit swollen. I think perhaps I have an infection there and will go to see my GP tomorrow. Is there anything else that this could be? I have had the same PEG since May 2010 and prior to that was on a naso-gastric tube for nearly 6 months. I use the PEG for at least two feeds a day and try and have thickened liquids at least once a day, although I had aspirational pneumonia about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks Sue.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-25-2011 05:21 AM
Sounds to me like an infection. Hope you get itt checked, good luck,
Posted By: Sue G Re: PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-25-2011 09:33 AM
Thanks Cheryl. I also think that it is probably an infection so hopefully anti-biotics will fix it.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-25-2011 01:31 PM
You could have pulled it without realizing. Make sure to never lift anything heavier than about 15 pounds. Its not normal to have blood coming out from the peg site. I get some discharge sometimes so I always keep a drain sponge there to absorb anything that oozes. I have some granulation near my feeding tube site that has bled a little bit in the past but it was not big deal. I knew exactly where the blood came from. Yours doesnt sound like an emergency. But I would call your gastro doc first thing Monday morning unless it would get worse then I would suggest you go to the ER.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-25-2011 01:58 PM
Sounds like irritation from the tube rubbing to me. I'd put some antibiotic cream on it until I saw the doctor. I sometimes Bleed from the PEG but like Christine, it's from obvious granulation tissue so I just cauterize it with a silver nitrate stick right away.
Your post reads like your PEG is a year and half old - mine only last 5 months - If it is 18 months old, I'd consider getting a new one. One remote possibility is that your stoma has enlarged and you need a larger FR size tube to prevent excess movement (I just heard about this at my last visit to get a new G tube- the doctors say it happens very often - although so far not to me)
First time I ever heard of a 15 lb weight limit to prevent bleeding. Heck, I do bicep curls with a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand (and body weight bench presses) and that has never caused any bleeding or problems.
I sympathize with everyone who has a feeding tube.
Charm

Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-25-2011 02:02 PM
My docs told me to be very careful with picking anything heavy up. I asked them how much I could lift and I was told no more than 15 pounds. I mentioned this to EzJim and he said his doc told him not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Be careful Charm with your weights, I dont want to see you have any problems.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PEG Pain and Bleeding - 09-25-2011 02:38 PM
I agree - with what you all said - the thing hat twitted with me was the swelling and tenderness. Often a sign of infection. Maybe you pulled it and now you have a but of infection... Have it checked out for sure and good luck!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum