Posted By: monmais Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-20-2010 01:46 AM
I'm so happy to have found this forum. It's now my safe haven! I'm the proud daughter (oldest of 5) of Karen. She is so brave; however, I imagine that's for display purposes only. I know she stays positive for her five children. It's been 2.5 years since she was diagnosed and her life changed forever. She has learned to live with a PEG, without a tongue, but most importanly without cancer! Unfortunately, I think that may have changed. Her November PET scan was clear, but having lost weight and not feeling well another scan was ordered and done in January. This one showed a hot spot in her mouth and spots on both her lungs. The doctor was quite honest and said he suspects both are cancer and are stage 4. We're awaiting a lung biopsy to confirm his suspicions. Everything I'm reading paints a bleak picture. Is this common to spread to the lungs??? Treatment options??? Anything at all is helpful! Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest.
Posted By: Kelly211 Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-20-2010 08:28 AM
people hear have been in similay conditions.All of these can be attacked with Cheno, curgery, rads at al. Get the best doctor you can trust.
Posted By: Cookey Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-20-2010 07:59 PM
Hi Karen
spread to the lungs is quite common and its not always as bad as it sounds,quite a few people here have suffered this setback only to find that the spots on the lung were scar tissue from rads and if they are malignant response to chemo is quite good,so lets keep our fingers crossed for some good news.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-21-2010 01:29 AM
I would like to wish you mother and her 5 offspring the best of everything possible and will say some prayers for her. Kelly, I love you because we type the same way. LOL Be proud of your typos Mam.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-21-2010 03:49 AM
I will keep your mom in my prayers. Sounds like an amazing woman and mom!
Posted By: monmais Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-23-2010 11:49 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. The Pulmonologist? is looking over the scans to determine if a lung biopsy is even an option. It depends on if they can can extract a large enough piece to biopsy and if the biopsy will adversely impact any other major organs. The waiting is tough as you all know!
Posted By: Mark Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-24-2010 05:46 AM
Monmais, Please have hope. PET scans can be too sensitive(ie false positive).
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 02-24-2010 06:16 AM
The waiting is hell. No other way to put it. Try not to let cancer steal these days while you are waiting. It has certainly stolen enough time from your Mom and your family. Do something special with each day - truly live in the present - it is all ANY of us has.

Looking forward to an update - you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Donna
Posted By: monmais Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 03-02-2010 08:25 PM
Hi all ~

Just wanted to give an update. Have been awaiting a date for mom's lung biopsy. Unfortunately, the pulmonologist said he won't do it. Having looked over her scan and records the risk of puncturing her diaphragm is too high. Now we're waiting on the recommended course of action from her oncologist. Without a biopsy, how do you know or choose what or what not to do??? Also, the cancer that has returned in her mouth is causing a lot of pain so it's a priority to get that out. Ughhhh!!! So confused! It certainly doesn't help that I live in Louisiana and she is in Memphis!
Posted By: monmais Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 03-02-2010 10:30 PM
Hi all ~

Just wanted to give an update. Have been awaiting a date for mom's lung biopsy. Unfortunately, the pulmonologist said he won't do it. Having looked over her scan and records the risk of puncturing her diaphragm is too high. Now we're waiting on the recommended course of action from her oncologist. Without a biopsy, how do you know or choose what or what not to do??? Also, the cancer that has returned in her mouth is causing a lot of pain so it's a priority to get that out. Ughhhh!!! So confused! It certainly doesn't help that I live in Louisiana and she is in Memphis!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anxiously Waiting - Lung Biopsy - 03-03-2010 05:56 AM
They will come up with something. I had to wait a couple of times but it fianlly happened. Most of them like to wait until they are sure what is the best treatment. Take a xanax and relax while you wait.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum