Posted By: ArdenDD Issues with dairy? - 11-16-2019 05:49 PM
does anyone here have (of had) any issues with how dairy tastes post-treatment? My husband
is trying foods in effort to get off feeding tube eventually and it appears stuff with dairy tastes awful. I was thinking of trying a plant based substitute in a thin milkshake fir him. Suggestions?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Issues with dairy? - 11-16-2019 06:51 PM
ArdenDD,

I’ve had lots of problems with foods during and after treatment. I couldn’t eat solid foods for awhile and relied on the feeding tube. After slowly introducing foods such as scrambled eggs, farina, and egg drop soup I slowly added other foods, but I still had a problem with milk, ice cream and such burning my mouth. It took awhile before I could eat this and other foods, but keep trying! You’ll slowly win this war!

Have you tried coconut milk?

Good luck!

Posted By: Dizz_zzey Re: Issues with dairy? - 11-16-2019 09:10 PM
I've not had a problem with dairy (especially chocolate milk) but have found dairy alternatives (chocolate versions) have had no taste whatsoever.
Posted By: ArdenDD Re: Issues with dairy? - 11-16-2019 10:04 PM
I tried coconut milk in a smoothie for him very early on and he said he could taste the coconut which he hates. Today I bought some vanilla almond milk and will try making a smoothie with that, frozen bananas and some blueberries and see how that goes for him.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Issues with dairy? - 11-17-2019 10:27 PM
It’s funny that I didn’t eat coconut my whole life until I tasted coconut water, milk and jelly (inside) on vacation, and found that I could eat that. It’s the dried stuff they put on cakes and in candy I dislike. Keep trying different foods, and you’ll find ones that one can eat and enjoy. My diet it different than it was years ago, but there’s so much food out there one can find. Keep trying!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum