Posted By: Michelle Ann HPV and RRP - 06-07-2013 05:01 PM
Hi Folks: I have posted a little on recent developments with me: a paralyzed left vocal chord and new lesions. I had my CT scan this morning to rule out cancer recurrence. If the CT scan is clear (I'll know next Wednesday) we will start to talk about treating the paralyzed vocal chord. I have been doing some reading about this condition and wonder if anyone has had any experience with RRP (recurrent respiratory papillomatosis). I am seeing that there is a connection between RRP and HPV and since my tumor was HPV+ I am interesting in knowing more about this condition, how it is diagnosed and treated, and anything else people might know about it. Thanks, as always. -Michelle
Posted By: ChristineB Re: HPV and RRP - 06-07-2013 09:42 PM
The percentage of HPV+ lung cancer is very low only 6%. 90% of lung cancers are caused by tobacco use. here is the article you were referring to. Its available on the OCF newsfeed. Everyone should sign up for this free service to get all the latest OC news.

At this time HPV is being researched and new info is being learned. While much info has been learned already about HPV, there is much more which is yet to be discovered. This is one of the reasons all the donations to OCF are so important.... OCF funds not just OC but also HPV research.

HPV+ and lung cancer
Posted By: PaulB Re: HPV and RRP - 06-07-2013 10:06 PM
I went for a consultation on Wednesdayfor collagen injection for vocal cord paralysis. The ENT/ Larynvologist, said I didn't need it, due to one vocal flap parlysis, and my voice is functions well. Today it's not so good, chocking all day. Bit I'll manage. I see my ENT/Radiation a oncologist on Monday. My hospital is Beth Israel, I wonder If MA is associated with mine. MA is very good, I hear or come to NYC to NY Eye and Ear Infirmary or others. Good luck.
Posted By: PaulB Re: HPV and RRP - 06-10-2013 12:36 PM
'A special population of patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP) may be more suseptible to HPV -related oncogenesis in the larynx and other portions of the respiratory tract. RRP is typically assoctiated with HPV-6 and HPV-11, which are considered to be low risk types, warts, in the anoanogenital tract. However, data fron clinical cases have documented instances in which low risk HPV(typically HPV-11) RRP related can undergo malignamy transformation. seems to be uncommon. Adult 3 to 5% with adult onset.'

http://www.hu.ufsc.br/projeto_hpv/T...rrent%20Respiratory%20Papillomatosis.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20015762
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: HPV and RRP - 06-10-2013 05:42 PM
Thanks for these responses. My CT scan came back clear - phew. So now the ENT wants me to make an appt with a speech therapist and one with him to talk abut injections. One day at a time. At least the CT scan was clear. That's a huge relief. -Michelle
Posted By: PaulB Re: HPV and RRP - 06-10-2013 11:02 PM
That's a relief! I go for my 6th month PET/CT scan in August.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum