Posted By: KP5 involution - 10-10-2012 02:42 PM
Hi Guys,
Anybody ever had a PET report that said involution of the base of tongue mass? What does this mean. Dr appt not until Friday. Just curious.
Thanks,
Kathy
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: involution - 10-10-2012 06:31 PM
In general, base of tongue cancers start out as a hard spot, that if you are doing a screening, you can feel with your finger as you pass it over the base of the tongue. As the cancer matures, it becomes a pronounced bump in most all of the cases. In some cases the cancer starts growing inward, versus outward, and that is referred to as involution of the mass. These tend to be caught later, as the patient does not have the sensation that swallowing is getting harder to accomplish, which drives them to and ENT or their doctor with a complaint.
Posted By: KP5 Re: involution - 10-10-2012 06:53 PM
Ok...that scares me a little bit. I need to get him in to see the doc sooner than planned I think.
Thanks Brian
Posted By: KP5 Re: involution - 10-10-2012 07:53 PM
The report says...review of the accompanying CT shows involution of the mass in the base of the tongue right sided, adjacent parapharyngeal lymphadenopathy and zone 2 lymphadenopathy down to the base of the neck.
But...The Impression says...No abnormal hypermetabolic activity,mass or lymphadenopathy.
So, that sounds good to us. Will see tomorrow am I guess.
HATE this,
Kathy
I think they should just say pass or fail!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: involution - 10-11-2012 02:44 AM
Best wishes tomorrow.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: involution - 10-11-2012 04:34 AM
In the USA do you get your CT/PET scan results without seeing a doctor? No wonder you are all scared out of your minds.
Over here we have the scan and go home to return at a later date to sit down with the docs for correct interpretation . I know which way I would/do prefer to get these results.

Wishing all the best for you two.
Tammy
Posted By: KP5 Re: involution - 10-11-2012 03:09 PM
VERY good news!! Clear PET. Won't do another now for 6-8 months. YAY!!
Thanks Cheryl, Tammy and Brian.
Kathy
Posted By: Maria Re: involution - 10-11-2012 04:57 PM
Yay - I was fretting for you Kathy, and am VERY glad to hear your news! grin

Maria
Posted By: KP5 Re: involution - 10-11-2012 06:01 PM
Thanks Maria. ;o)
Posted By: saxicola Re: involution - 10-11-2012 10:56 PM
Hey, fantastic news.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: involution - 10-12-2012 05:35 AM
Great news. Whew. Hate scans and waiting for results.
Enjoy and live life you two.
Tammy
Posted By: KP5 Re: involution - 10-12-2012 03:56 PM
Thanks Tammy.
Posted By: aimlee311 Re: involution - 10-12-2012 11:06 PM
Phew! Great news, congrats to you both! smile
Posted By: Gabe Re: involution - 10-13-2012 12:04 AM
Great news Kathy...now you can both relax cool
Gabriele
Posted By: ChristineB Re: involution - 10-13-2012 02:05 AM
Congrats Kathy!!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: involution - 10-15-2012 02:03 PM
That's awesome!!! We do the meet with the dr thing here too. However sometimes it helps to know the results beforehand as they tend to say see you in a week - when realistically speaking they have the results within a few hours - it would be fine if they said see you tomorrow - waiting 24 hours is less stressful, but the fact is they would rather make you wait a week of so... No reason either... That extra time is supremely stressful, and most important - costly - if here is a reasonable concern. That's a week that could be spent sorting out details and booking appointments and treatments if there is a recurrence, if a biopsy needed etc.. Think a week or two doesn't make a difference... Ask my friend - a two week wait for her is the reason she's in palliative care right now - she was due to start chemo sept. 4th, a weeks slow down at the hospital then a week for the dr to go on vacation, set her back 2 weeks - sept 4th she was still okay to take chemo, . The following two weeks while she was waiting - she was vomiting profusely, lost 25 lbs (she was 100 to start and couldn't afford the loss) and on the 18th she was denied treatment because she was too weak. So knowing as early as possible is important, I'd rather get the info immediately and call the dr to get the details ASAP. Particularly if there is a concern. Again so glad the pet was. Good one... Hugs!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum