Posted By: Caco Post treatment related dental ? re health coverage - 06-28-2012 12:44 PM
A ? Dentist has referred a tooth extraction that he feels is directly related to radiation treatment (loss of saliva) to an oral surgeon. If not for the rads, the dentist would have just done it.

Should this be covered by medical or dental? (Medicare) Appreciate feedback.

Thanks! C
I don't know but likely he'll need HBO too. I would say medical though.
HBO?
HyperBaric Oxygen treatments known as 'dives' to promote healing.
Ahhh...oral surgeon claims that doesn't work for him as he has been taking zometa.

I need to talk with his oncologist. This all started because his dentist said his tooth needs to be pulled. He's had no pain (?)

I think we're in the midst of confusion, again. Dentist said he has abscess & dying tooth, easy pull. I challenged him concerned about healing and that he made the suggestion to my parents w/out consulting his MO. He then does that and refers dad to on oral surgeon who said he has no abscess (!) and should do more cleaning, and rinse and wait and see how goes.

My prognosis: he and his tooth will outlive us ;-)
Good grief, Caco. crazy Maybe the dentist has a boat payment coming due.
Since your father did radiation already any tooth being pulled would need whats called the Marx Protocol. That is 20 HBO dives prior to the procedure and 10 after. Ive done 125 dives over the past few years. You go into a clear glass chamber and breathe pressurized oxygen for 2 hours a day. Its time consuming but it will help prevent osteoradionecrosis which would be far bigger problems (death of the jaw bone). Now here comes the real kicker.... HBO is NOT recommended for anyone who is currently going thru any cancer treatments as cancer loves oxygen and helps it to grow.

Let me know if you have other questions about any of this, I know it gets very complicated and confusing.
Thx guys. I get it! He's on chemo AND zometa which is why I stuck my nose into his dentist's business. There are no "easy" procedures at this stage.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum